Thursday, January 3, 2008

Taaren Zameen Par

I Bawled through taaren zameen par.

Now, i am no expert on movie making but i do believe that any movie that can actually make you feel you are able to relate to just about all the characters, is truly great. And i loved every minute of it. Every word, every scene and every song. First half, second half and well..even the middle half.

My mom used to tell me that to get your message across in simple language is more challenging than using big, bombastic language with long words and complicated sentences. I do believe the same challenge applies to movies as well. Aamir Khan (may his tribe increase) , in his simplicity, has achieved greatness. And i for one, totally love him now.

Dyslexia is really one of the more minor disorders children suffer. I must at this point, introduce my neighbours. Seven year old V has an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and S, who must be around nine, is classically autistic. Now this is where real life happily deviates from the movie. I have never seen parents who are so focussed, patient and persevering, so full of hope that some day soon their children will be like the others. The energy and patience they need to handle their children is immense. I once heard S's mother call him more than 28 times just to get his attention. Not once did her tone vary. It was the same insistent, affectionate tone over and over again.

Arjun's eczema, which for us, was the worst thing that could happen to any child, pales in comparison to the problems that these children and parents face. Frequent trips to NIMHANS, special schools, being pulled up by teachers over and over for being violent with other children, the social stigma, the inlaws, so many factors they have to juggle wth and still go on with the hope that some day, it will all be worth it.

It does seem true that these children have a special gift. S who is autistic, sings like an angel and plays the keyboard and mouth organ by ear! V has one of the most vivid rolls of imagination i have ever seen in any child. He once threatened to turn me into a rabbit if i dont let him play with arjun a little longer (i suspect Maddy and he became good friends after that particular incident)


Whether they have something they are good at or not, i think Aamir Khan got it right. Every child is special. And anyone who can see that is special too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you caught this on screen. If you are interested in the indie/alternate film scene in Bollywood go to www.passionforcinema.com

Zak

'Smee! said...

I haven't watched the movie but hope to do so soon. But your account of your neighbours was really sweet. I dint know there were such patient people in the world.

K said...

your post reminded me of this:

remember the scene in 'h' with the kids playing in the golf course? they were the kids of my assistant director and the elder one was autistic. The drive back home at the end of that day was a long one, but one I will never forget because that kid narrated to me the most imaginative sci-fi story I have ever heard. I am not exaggerating this one bit because of his age or condition. It certainly was the most imaginative and the best part was he made it up as he talked...and he talked for an hour! ;)

Arch said...

k: i remember :) and totally understand how difficult it is to put across the fact that we are not exaggerating...

smee : Neither did i...but there are ... and some of us are better parents because of them!

Zak : tx

Anonymous said...

I just loved the movie and I love Amir Khan for making such a great movie, so simple but oh so important!
My son of eight loved the movie as well. At the end he started applauding.

Arch said...

hi sharda...thanks for dropping by. Can totally empathise with your son...i remember it was with great difficulty that all of us controlled the urge to do the same thing ! :)