Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dirty Dancing :)

And then there are some days when all you want to do is go dancing!!

Most probably the only thing that comes close to being something i am passionate about, dancing and me go a long way. I will always remember my first performance. I must have been around six years old when there was a wedding in the family. Hordes of cousins landed up at my grand father's house and somebody let it slip that i didnt think twice about dancing. Suddenly, there were clamours all around for a dance.

I insisted that all the doors be closed. (It didnt matter that everybody was already inside the 'performance room' !) And then i sang and danced - 'I am a disco dancer..ta na na na" My aunt felt the need to explain my 'steps' ocassionaly like - oh, she is shifting the 'mike' from hand to hand' which would always be followed by an 'ohhhh' that went around the room. I was least bothered by this continuous explanation because in my mind, i was right next to mithun chakraborthy, matching him step for step. Needless to say, i got thunderous applause that evening and relentless torture for the rest of my life as the cruel cousins would remember my performance and publicly describe it every time we met.

That, however, did not douse my passion one bit. Fast forward to sometime when i was in the seventh or eigth standard. Most of the dancing i got to see was in the movies. I knew i was not pretty enough to be the heroine but i was quite sure i looked better than all those ladies behind her who also danced when she did. So i did not think twice. I walked up to my dad and said, "Daddy, i want to join the movies and be a dancer" My dad, being the sensible person he is, did not react at all. He just nodded and smiled. But that very summer, my dad called somebody who called somebody who called somebody and who called somebody else and it was all arranged. We were going to see 'movie shootings'. I was so excited, i could hardly breathe.

Since we were living in Andhra Pradesh then as well, i got to see a few south indian movies being shot. I saw Venkatesh at his prime doing a fight sequence. I saw Amala and Srividya and just missed rajnikanth in a movie they were doing together. And finally, we got to see a dance sequence - one which i will never forget. It was the actress called Ramya Krishnan dressed in something like a bharathanatyam costume but minus the sleeves and a whole lot of other parts. So, ok, i swallowed a bit. And then, in the forty five minutes that we watched them, they did a small 5 second step over and over and over again. Which was also ok. But the last straw was that between each practice, this small, dark, hairy man would walk up to the actress and actually wipe her sweat off her back.

My movie aspirations came to a grinding halt.

I still love to dance though and have gone for a class or two and had the best time of my life. Jun and i freak out quite often in our living room while maddy wonders why he couldnt have married some nice quiet girl who will just cook and look nice for him. Luckily in this one respect, Jun totally takes after me. Amazing energy and fun but slightly lacking in the talent department.

But when did THAT ever stop a dancer ? ;p

11 comments:

Aarathi Edward said...

Hahaha!!! I didn't realize that's why we went to watch the movie shooting!

Aarthi Britto said...

hey! you forgot our chaya chaya in LIBA :)

Anonymous said...

Awww....how ADORABLE!!! May God bless you with many occasions to dance (to hubby's tunes?)

Ganges said...

That was hilarious, Arch! That's one stellar example of what the parents did right ;)

Arch said...

thath, i put two and two together only after i overheard amma talking about it!

Aarthi : wow!!u read my blog!!! and i can never forget that dance...just that in retrospect, i always thot that with my short hair all pinned up and in that outfit, i looked more like a man in drag ;p But that was so much fun and i hope you remember our farewell dance to you guys too...

pal : he heh..thank you and i hope so too....but to hubby's tunes?? naaaah :)

Ganga : shall let my parents know ;)

Aarthi Britto said...

I thought you looked just fine ! But I knew we cld have done better with the hair, make-up and costume..;)

K said...

Really guys? Chaya chaya? I dont even remember....is that a good thing or a bad thing? ;)

Arch said...

Heh heh ...we enjoyed ourselves. no Aarthi...:)

karthik : that depends on how you take the punch you are getting the next time you meet aarthi or me.

Bobby said...

How have I not heard this earlier?? How about a repeat performance of disco dancer in a couple of weeks? :D

Arch said...

gosh, isnt it enough that you already have thath dancing to your tunes ??? ;) If its a girl, dance guaranteed and if its a boy, pl gracefully accept whack for not contributing the right chromosomes!!! ;p

Allen said...

Arch, how about that dance now... all the right chromosomes are in order :D...
btw, we're really waiting to have you here...