Friday, July 3, 2009

The new man in our lives

Conversation while traveling from known point A to known point B

Maddy : Now both of you will have to promise not to talk

Us : Hunh?

Maddy : Bowing in front of his phone : Tell me Master, show me the way...!

( I swear I could hear ancient Kung Fu Masters squeal and curl their toes in agony)

The Man : Take a right after three hundred metres

Maddy : Arch, how far is three hundred metres?

Arch : How should I know?

Arjun : I think its very far away

Maddy : *Dirty Glare at arjun*

The Man : Now, take the left

Maddy : Ah! HE knows !!! grins

Jun and Me : *Dirty Glare*

The Man : After 750 metres, take a left

Maddy : Hunh?

Me : Loud wicked chuckle

Jun Jun : He is saying all wrong no acha ?

Maddy : cough cough

The Man : NOW take a left

Maddy coughs some more and I giggle

Arjun : I think he likes lefts no acha?

The Man : Go straight for 900 metres and then take the second left

Me : Loud cackles

Maddy : Arch, when you first came here, did you know everything about this city?

No, right? Give him a break!!

Me : Louder cackles

Arjun : He will also learn slowly I think no acha?

Maddy : coughs…definitely arjun

The man : After 600 metres, take a left

Arjun : Acha!

Maddy : Don’t worry, I am not listening to him so we will not fall off the flyover!!!!!!! .

Me : Maddy, the most sensible thing you have done in your life is using this thing on a road well traveled!.

Maddy : I must not have set it right. It cant be wrong

Me : “Gosh, If you thought that way with me, we would NEVER fight!!

Maddy : glare

Arjun : I think he is tired he is not talking anymore

Maddy : That’s because I switched him off.

Arjun : Why????? I like him!!! He tells all funny wrong ways!!

And so it became two vs one for The Man

We didnt see Mr GPS Man in action for some time after that. But I was quite sure maddy was two timing the two of us.

My hunch seemed bang on when the other day, Maddy said, “ If you promise you wont laugh, I want to do something”. We promised. And repented.. as The Man took us on another wild goose chase.

Some time after that, arjun and I settled down to watch a movie called “The Golden Compass”

Arjun : What is a compass, amma?

Me : Its like a GPS arjun……………
….and I clapped my hand to my mouth…but I was too late.

Maddy’s voice rang out : What was that ? What was that? What was that?
(yup, three times!)

Arjun : She said it was like a GPS

Maddy : I knew it !! You like him too dont you arch?

Big groans all around….

Maddy : so where shall we go today?

Arrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhh…..

6 comments:

krithika said...

Hehehehe... The GPSs back home have a male voice ??? Grrrrr.... :)

On a serious note, are roads at home GPS ready ? Awesome !!

PS: Very glad to know that jun is recovering well. :)

Wanderlust said...

All GPSs I have used have been female and accurate! Guess that makes a difference :)

Arch said...

Krithika, actually i dont think the roads are all that ready...we were left scratching our heads when the man said : take the second exit at the roundabout!!!

Wanderer : hee hee...i am sure :)

Aarathi Edward said...

Welcome to the club!!!
misery sure loves company ;)

i don't think the maps will ever get our roads right with all the constant changes in one way and new flyovers.

Just be glad he doesn't experiment with GPS on unknown, very suspect highways (read dirt roads, just as the sun is setting and there's not a soul around!!!

where's the big announcement?? :(

Arch said...

so sorry...i got a little depressed when the numbers changed :( will do it next though.

Kanecha said...

...guess what? My tomtom goes 'Aduththu irunooru metergallukku piragu valadhu pakkam thirumbavum' and the chap's always right - if at all I've turned into the wrong road its just bcos of my confusion between idadhu and valadhu! :))